An interior redesign is a huge project that will cost a lot of time, nerves, and, of course, money. For most people, money is the biggest concern, so it would be nice to have a rough idea of how much interior design will cost you.
How much does an interior designer in San Diego cost? Below, you will find rough estimates on the cost of an interior design project – but please do keep in mind that actual costs may differ vastly from the numbers we will mention.
How Much Does An Interior Designer Cost On Average?
What is the average flat rate for interior design?
On average, expect to pay $5,000 for an interior design project. However, depending on your needs, the size of the space, and its condition, you may need to spend anywhere from about $2,000 to $11,000.
Note that these estimates do not include furniture, so your actual project costs may be a few thousand dollars higher.
With fixed-rate projects, make sure to ask how many design revisions are included in the fee and how much time the project will take. Aside from that, keep in mind that flat-rate jobs don’t allow for much customization – this is because designers are not willing to work more than what their fee implies.
What is the average hourly rate of interior designers?
The hourly rate of interior designers ranges from $50 to $200 per hour. This only includes labor and usually does not include materials or shopping.
Unless your project implies the coverage of a huge commercial space (maybe over 5,000 square feet), you probably will not have to pay more than $200 hourly.
Hiring a designer that charges hourly is optimal if your design project will not take long. With a job quickly done, you may not have to pay as much as you would have with other pricing models.
What is the average rate per square foot?
Interiors designers tend to charge $5-$15 per square foot. Again, this doesn’t include furnishings or installation of accessories.
Not all designers set their fees based on room size. As for those that do, they usually have a minimum square footage under which you will be required to pay a fixed fee.
What is the cost of an interior designer per room?
Room-wise, interior designers may charge from $1,000 to $7,750 per room. This estimate includes work plus furnishings.
Expect to pay about $2,500 to $5,000 for a living room remodel and about $1,000 to $2,000 for a bedroom rework. How much you will actually have to pay for a room design depends on several factors:
- The size of the room.
- The complexity of the project.
- The quality of the furnishings that will be used.
The Fee & Payment Structure Of An Interior Designer Also Matters
Although the core design costs that we’ve talked about above are central to your home remodel project, there are a number of other things to consider as well.
More precisely, we are talking about the fee structure of the designer that you are working with. Each designer or agency will structure their fees differently, and it’s another important point to pay attention to when looking for a professional for the job.
Here’s what the typical fee structure of an interior designer usually incorporates:
- Consultation fee. Most designers will charge an initial consultation fee. Expect to pay from $50 to $250 for a consultation.
- Design fees. Design fees typically incur only for large jobs where the designer has to present a few initial design choices. But some designers may include the design fee into their hourly rate or rate per square foot.
- Material fees. Including rugs, lamps, sofas, cabinets, or whatnot, this fee is the core of the budget of your interior design project.
- Architectural drawings. The planning and modeling take place in computer software – usually, CAD. You will have to pay for these as well.
- Management fee. Usually constituting 25% of the total fee, the purpose of the management fee is to cover the costs associated with managing general contractors on-site.
- Designer’s expertise. Needless to say, experienced designers will charge way more but will also deliver better quality.
- Commission fee. After calculating the project fee, some designers also add a commission fee on top – typically, about 20%-30%.
- Reimbursable expenses. Expenses like additional or special supplies or sometimes travel are considered reimbursable expenses. These are included in the final invoice and should be proven by receipts.
Next, make sure that you understand how the payments will be structured. Here’s how an interior designer may charge you:
- Initial deposit. This is usually a non-refundable payment that is intended to cover initial expenses. Not every interior designer will request a deposit, but if yours does, then it will probably be 10%-20%
- Fee installments. In addition, some designers may request the project payment in multiple installments, e.g. four installments of 25% each. Depending on the designer, you may have to pay several installments without any deposits or an initial deposit plus installments.
- Furnishings deposit. Your interior designer may also request a deposit for the furnishings and accessories that will be purchased. This deposit is usually rather hefty – about 50% or perhaps more.
Now you know how much should an interior designer will cost. You can make your budget according to the guideline.